Dirty Scooters - Lambretta Li 150 series 2 restore and 64 GL malossi 221

this blog is a record of my scooter projects. The Dirty Rocket is finished for now, and I am about to begin restoring a '58 Lambretta Li150 series 2. The Dirty rocket started out as an attempt to build my ideal scooter from a rusted bare heap for as little money as possible. (The frame is a '57 VNA) now a 64 GL frame. TO FOLLOW THIS CHRONOLOGICALLY, START FROM THE BOTTOM OF THE PAGE... AND Please leave comments/ tips/ warnings!!!

Sunday, September 17, 2006

THE GOOD NEWS OR THE BAD NEWS?

WE'LL START WITH THE BAD
I swapped out the motors yesterday for 2 reasons. One, to make sure the red rocket didn't end up in the back of the workshop in bits. secondly to give me the time to make any adjustments necessary prior to installing into the GL.
Today I stripped the engine and found...





1. the rotary pad is stuffed. The inlet porting was so extreme there is a matter of millimeters left, and that is scored badly.. because..
2. the crank was out of true. remembering the bashing that took place as we tried to get it in and the case halves together, as well as the transport from sydney I am not surprised.
3. I am going to have to go with a reed setup. There are many arguments for and against jb weld repair. I guess once I go reed I can't go back. One advantage should be improved fuel economy. I dream of getting the same economy as the rest of you.
4. The spending spree has a long way to go. I thought it was finished when I got the rims and tyres the other day.
5. the clutch showed no signs of damage after approx 2000km and the corks don't seem burnt much. I have been leaking oil from a few spots so the clutch has been under oiled for about 6-700kms.


ACTION REQUIRED
My mind is made up. I am installing a balanced long stroke crank, a custom head machined to not require a 1.5mm base gasket (the stroke is increased by 3mm stock). As far as I can tell, the use of a deepened head rather than a base gasket keeps the torque lower in the rev range and higher.
I am also installing a malossi reed block kit. I have no intention of racing around, nor trying for speeds of over 115kmh, so I have decided to go for a combination of fuel economy low end torque and, of course, the ability to surprise people with unexpected zip from a fat bastard on a little old vespa.
The rotary pad has been decimated by someone dremmelling out the inlet port (180 degrees I'm told) What remains of it has been scored by something (perhaps a result of the unbalanced crank).

So the shopping list has been made and now I go back to the body...

THE GOOD NEWS

Small details are each taking quite a bit of time. For example, getting the front brake cable to work on a PK drum at one end and a VNA handlebar at the other.
Missing spring for he cowl clip. Also the vna side panel doesn't quite clip on right.
I suppose the good news is that I was rummaging for a fuel tap lever I know I have somewhere when I stumbled across a cowl hook spring, a chrome bag hook (ordered for some reason in the past) a front brake cable that I was able to use, the missing washer for the fork top and some electrical connectors.

I have attached the fender and fork, now that I have the cables through.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com