Dirty Scooters - Lambretta Li 150 series 2 restore and 64 GL malossi 221

this blog is a record of my scooter projects. The Dirty Rocket is finished for now, and I am about to begin restoring a '58 Lambretta Li150 series 2. The Dirty rocket started out as an attempt to build my ideal scooter from a rusted bare heap for as little money as possible. (The frame is a '57 VNA) now a 64 GL frame. TO FOLLOW THIS CHRONOLOGICALLY, START FROM THE BOTTOM OF THE PAGE... AND Please leave comments/ tips/ warnings!!!

Tuesday, September 26, 2006

for love nor money - definitely not love of money

I've just done the maths, and this scooter has cost me over 4000 australian dollars.
Given that it was a bit at a time and I can't save up, I have decided that at least half of this would have been converted to beer and pizza instead of lining the pockets of parts suppliers across this great globe.
Anyway, I have to accept that like any other peformance based motor vehicle enhancement, the final value of the vehicle never reaches the cost. My motor has cost me half of the total, so it had better go bloody fast when it's done.
My point is (apart from not to make rambling posts after beer and wine) This scooter has been/ is being built for my purposes, not for investment. The next one will be a classic restore. OK.

Now, just lately I have been busy preparing stuff for the big dremel fest. I have always assumed that the cases (worst case) or the clutch cover was warped because I had to hammer the cover until it pops into place. Tonights practice dremmeling along with the frustrating wait for my reed block and crank allowed me to remove some aluminium allowing the clutch cover to slip on nicely. One problem solved.

Tonight I have been on the phone with Germany and England trying to sort out my engine parts.
First I ordered a malossi reed manifold, a balanced long stroke crank and a deepened reprofiled head all from SIP scootershop in Germany.
Next I realised I needed a special Worb5(german) longstroke crank designed to allow better gas flow with a reed valve and emailed SIP immediately asking to change it.
I got no reply for nearly a week, so rang them last night. Firstly I found out that the reed block was out of stock and was over a week away (before postage). I also found out that they were confused by my order and asked me to ring back tomorrow when the person responsible would be in.
Next I rang Beedspeed in England and ordered the reed block right away.
Tonight I rang SIP in Germany and changed the order to what I wanted. Hopefully I am on the dremel by Saturday. Yeehar.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com