Dirty Scooters - Lambretta Li 150 series 2 restore and 64 GL malossi 221

this blog is a record of my scooter projects. The Dirty Rocket is finished for now, and I am about to begin restoring a '58 Lambretta Li150 series 2. The Dirty rocket started out as an attempt to build my ideal scooter from a rusted bare heap for as little money as possible. (The frame is a '57 VNA) now a 64 GL frame. TO FOLLOW THIS CHRONOLOGICALLY, START FROM THE BOTTOM OF THE PAGE... AND Please leave comments/ tips/ warnings!!!

Thursday, October 26, 2006

testing 1-....ooh

Probably done a hundred k's so far, and last night thought i'd let the revs do their thing.
Then it died. Here's the BBS transcripts...
Finally had the courage to test the new motor at high revs (in 3rd) and it stopped dead.
Not a seize
Not the fuel
compresion is fine
Spark has no bits on it, looks in good shape and is chocolatty brown.
No spark
Isolated engine (pulled green wire)

question.... After I find out it is not the spark, cap or lead, what is the most likely electronic thing to shit itself at high revs? CDI or stator?

cheers
derek

derek
63 GL 220
port matched malossi kitted px200 lump

I'd check in order-
Compression (just feeling it by kicking it over)
Spark
Fuel
Timing (sheared key?)


Thanks E. so far.....
compression- OK
fuel - OK
spark - no
spark with two other cdi's - no
spark from end of lead - NO
does a sheared woodruff prevent spark? Logically it would create a spark, but just at the wrong time to start the bike.

I am stranded at home 15 km from my workshop. i have a junior member of staff bringing half my tools in the truck.
What I want ... to remove the flywheel and solder a loose wire back onto the stator.

derek
63 GL 220
port matched malossi kitted px200 lump


>junior member of staff bringing half my tools in the truck.
>What I want ... to remove the flywheel and solder a loose
>wire back onto the stator.

yep. happened to me just like that. 140 miles from home.


white wire has been rubbing on flywheel near the stator. The insulation has worn off but the wire is intact.
Is if the white wire is rubbing on the inside of the flywheel, will this kill my spark?

jUnior forgot the multimeter, so I'll stitch it back together with some tape and see what happens.

derek
derek
63 GL 220
port matched malossi kitted px200 lump

... now I have found the desired resistance from the stator...

Here are the #'s to test the sparking coil and pick-up.

resistance between white and green 500 +/- 20 - ME-spot on
"" white and red 110 +/- 5 - ME - 37,000 ohms

I have ordered a new stator from GPS imports in Abbotsford, and booked an express courier to bring them to me in my home. I am determined to get to work ON MY DIRTY ROCKET at some stage today.

'

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com