Dirty Scooters - Lambretta Li 150 series 2 restore and 64 GL malossi 221

this blog is a record of my scooter projects. The Dirty Rocket is finished for now, and I am about to begin restoring a '58 Lambretta Li150 series 2. The Dirty rocket started out as an attempt to build my ideal scooter from a rusted bare heap for as little money as possible. (The frame is a '57 VNA) now a 64 GL frame. TO FOLLOW THIS CHRONOLOGICALLY, START FROM THE BOTTOM OF THE PAGE... AND Please leave comments/ tips/ warnings!!!

Wednesday, May 24, 2006

MY GOD IT'S A QUAD



There's a new kid on the block.... the '64 GL frame.
After much procrastination over repairing the rust in the VNA, I have decided to change my plans. I have gotten hold of a basic GL frame that doesn't have any serious rust and is straight. The GL had a 10 inch wheel, so my life will be a little easier using the px motor.
( what looks like rust is actually red clay).
.. so here's the new plan...

1) I treat the frame for rust underneath, and cut+polish the white finish. My favourite vespa finish is original white that shows that the bike has had a full and active service. As you can imagine, I am very happy with this one, as it is just that.

2) I do my best to fix up the old VNA side cowls, and make them fit the GL frame (see pic).

3) I use the VNA headset. Firstly a GL one will be hard to get, and will upset me if I have to drill holes for extra switches, and cut it for hydraulics. Secondly the VNA is ideal as it is a pressed steel two part unit, allowing access for extra wiring. I can even cut bits out if necessary for guages, etc. (probably won't 'tho as the bike is to look as stock as possible ).

4) Same plans apply as far as forks go. The only difference will be I need a PK XLII fork instead of a PK XL. This topic is always a little hazy, so there's more research to do on that one. The forks then get the appropriate sebac shock and a PX200 disc brake kit.

When this is all done, the engine pops out of the LMLT5 and into the 'DIRTY ROCKET'

As time goes on I will be ebaying for the correct headset, forks, cowls, etc. to allow a full restore in the future.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com