Dirty Scooters - Lambretta Li 150 series 2 restore and 64 GL malossi 221

this blog is a record of my scooter projects. The Dirty Rocket is finished for now, and I am about to begin restoring a '58 Lambretta Li150 series 2. The Dirty rocket started out as an attempt to build my ideal scooter from a rusted bare heap for as little money as possible. (The frame is a '57 VNA) now a 64 GL frame. TO FOLLOW THIS CHRONOLOGICALLY, START FROM THE BOTTOM OF THE PAGE... AND Please leave comments/ tips/ warnings!!!

Monday, January 23, 2006

another day

Today my floor arrived, along with my repro tail-light, tank rubber , hand grips and "sexy asian girl with scooters" calendar.
My spirits are uplifted after the headset disappointment, as now I can start working on the frame re-inforcing.
There is one hope on the headset front, and that is if the buyer messes about and the sale falls through. Fingers crossed as the seller seems to have much of what I need, and a good relationship with him will be of great benefit in the long run. Making knowledgable contacts in distant lands is not just handy, but is part of the fun of scootering.

On the frame front, I have all but decided to do the following:
  • cut out and remove spot welds on old floor
  • make steel jig to hold frame dead straight and in the correct position (as the centre channel has been compromised, the frame can easily twist until the floor is back in)
  • weld structural support inside frame channel
  • weld large pipe inside channel for cables and wiring
  • tack on plate to front section of channel ( been cut out by previous owner)
  • tack on new floor
  • repair rust holes in side cowls (not overly concerned as they are not structural).
  • take the frame to a panelbeater for a full weld up
  • get the panelbeater to smooth out legshield, cowls and ding near seat.
  • get the panelbeater to treat and prime frame.
  • spray it myself. The main reasons for spraying myself are..1) cheaper 2) I would rather have a straight looking old scooter than a bright shiny, half arsed restore job.. 3) I will probably mess up the paintwork while trying to fit motor/ cables/ tank etc. as I have no experience whatso-ever in this field.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com