Dirty Scooters - Lambretta Li 150 series 2 restore and 64 GL malossi 221

this blog is a record of my scooter projects. The Dirty Rocket is finished for now, and I am about to begin restoring a '58 Lambretta Li150 series 2. The Dirty rocket started out as an attempt to build my ideal scooter from a rusted bare heap for as little money as possible. (The frame is a '57 VNA) now a 64 GL frame. TO FOLLOW THIS CHRONOLOGICALLY, START FROM THE BOTTOM OF THE PAGE... AND Please leave comments/ tips/ warnings!!!

Saturday, January 21, 2006

one of the stupidest projects ever



I'll start with a disclaimer.
At this stage I don't know what I'm doing.
By the end of this I will.
This project is not about ending up with a restored vintage vespa.
This project is a combination of the following....
The desire to have my favorite kind of scooter. ie. old and ratty.
The desire to have a reliable, tuned p200 motor concealed in a vintage body.
A need to learn to work on a long term project, forced to be patient by the unavoidable wait for parts. Now that Mr. Miyage is dead, we are all on our own when trying to learn patience...
'overpriced parts on....... rust off'
So, here's the plan.
I have a basket case 57 vna vespa frame, which would be considered beyond hope by vintage collectors/ restorers. I, however, have a metal working factory and plan on repairing the rusted frame in a manner that will make it stronger than original. The main reason for this is that the frame was originally designed to have a pissweak 125 motor, and 8"wheels. I plan on higher speeds, higher loads and more efficient braking, each of which will put a rust damaged 50 year old frame under too much pressure.
Time for some pics. Next post will be the bits I have, and the bits I need.
(you may work out soon that I am using this blog as a way of remembering stuff).
derek

1 Comments:

At 12:43 AM, Blogger NYC TAXI SHOTS said...

can t wait to see the finished product

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com